When I think of Wes Welker, I think: undersized, hard worker, unique, catches everything, scrappy, takes kicks to the house, etc…
Well, earlier today I watched a video that Doug posted of North Carolina receiver / kick returner Ryan Switzer in which Switzer reviews the film of each of his 5 punt returns for touchdowns last season…and as I was watching it, all I could think of was this is the next Wes Welker.
A couple of notes from his bio on UNC’s website:
- Nickname is “Switz”
- Favorite TV show is “Hannah Montana”
- Wears No. 3 because it symbolizes the Trinity of Father, Son and Holy Spirit
- Favorite off-day activity is watching Christmas movies
- Would like to appear on an episode of “Jersey Shore”
Now, a look at his high school career:
- First-team Parade All-America selection
- Two-time winner of the Kennedy Award, given to the West Virginia state player of the year
- Only the sixth two-time winner in the award’s 66 years
- Twice named the West Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year
- Scored 103 touchdowns in his prep career and finished in the top five in West Virginia history in touchdowns and points
- 2012 Under Armour National Combine champion
North Carolina lists Switz at 5’10” 180.
I haven’t spoken with anyone at North Carolina about him; but after watching this video, you simply have to like this young man. The entire video session is good; but I particularly enjoyed the 6:25 mark where he discusses an interaction with Larry Fedora at halftime of the Pitt game shortly after he had just taken a punt back for six to close the first half and put UNC up 24-7. Listen to what he says and remember that Pitt comes back in the 2nd half to tie it at 24-24…before Switz takes another punt to the the house at the ned of the game to win it for North Carolina.
I’m rooting for this guy this season.