Randy Edsall shares statement on where the future of UConn football is headed (UConn)

Over the last several days, since rumors surfaced that UConn is likely leaving the AAC for the Big East (which does not have football), there has been a lot of chatter about what is going to happen to the Husky football program.

We pointed out earlier this week that all signs point to the Huskies football program trying to make it as an FBS Independent beginning in 2020-21 and trying to load their schedule with programs in the eastern part of the country.

Today, head coach Randy Edsall shared the following text with members of the media about the future of UConn football and he also sheds some light on how the decision to leave the AAC for the Big East was come to.

Members of the Media,

Since Saturday, June 22nd I've been contacted by many members of the media to give my thoughts on the rumor that UConn was going to the Big East Conference in all sports except football. I didn't want to say anything until we knew that the rumor was actually going to become official. Now that it has happened here are my thoughts.

In life, leaders have to make decisions that they think is in the best interest of their company, organization, business and this situation, the University of Connecticut Athletic Department, the Board of Trustees, University leadership, and the Athletic Director made the decision that this was in the best interest of our 22 intercollegiate teams, hundreds of student athletes, fans, and our future.

With the decision, it leaves our football program in transition at this point in time, but the Board of Trustees, University leadership, and Athletic Director will make the decision they feel is best for our football program moving forward.

As I told my Team (Trust, Enthusiasm, Accountability, Mental Toughness) on Sunday afternoon, we have a schedule for 2019 and that is what we have been preparing for since January and they have been doing a great job of staying focused and not allowing any distractions to get in the way of our preparation and training. So this situation will not be a distraction to this team.

All my focus and work has been on getting this program and facilities back to where we all want it regardless of WHERE WE PLAY OR WHO WE PLAY, so I'm leaving the decision up to the Board of Trustees, University leadership and Athletic Director to find the best situation for our football program.

Myself, my staff, and my players will not address this situation in the future as our focus is all on the 2019 season which is right around the corner. So with that being said, we've moved on to Wagner College.

Thanks,
Randy Edsall

See Edsall's full text below

Loading...
Loading...