When it came to light last week that UAB football might possibly come back to life, we wrote that the powers that be should have made sure beyond a shadow of doubt the program was dead before digging its grave. Either way, just be sure. You didn’t want to see the powers that be kill the program off prematurely, but you also didn’t want to see the possibility of a resurrection be raised only to see the #freeUAB faction’s hopes get crushed yet again.
And it looks like that’s exactly what is about to happen.
Alabama Representative Jack Williams has said three sources close to the situation have told him embattled UAB president Ray Watts will announce the Blazers’ football program will not return, and he will do it at 7 p.m. on Friday night.
A Friday night announcement, a blatant attempt to bury the bad news in the news cycle, would be a spineless way to manage this story. But, then again, that’s par for the course for the entire way this entire fiasco has been handled.
“This could lead to irreparable damage at UAB in its relationship with the community,” Williams told AL.com.
Since the Dec. 2 death proclamation, the city of Birmingham, UAB student government and a group of UAB boosters have pledged money to support the program. “I think this would cement his legacy in a very destructive way. His tenure at UAB will be marked by his destructive behavior.”
UAB has released a statement maintaining that no decision has been made. Either way, a decision is due by June 1.