One of the annual rites of spring in college football is the coaching clinic.
LSU's clinic is held this week, starting with a Tigers spring practice on Thursday afternoon and ending with a team scrimmage on Saturday. In between, the Bayou Bengals have lined up a list of speakers that is the best we've seen this side of the AFCA Convention.
- New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator is the featured speaker on Thursday night. I'd listen to Ryan speak for an hour on any subject under the sun - Flight 370, the Kennedy Assassination, working for Jerry Jones - but 60 minutes of football talk works just fine.
- Thursday night closes up with 75 minutes of chalk talk from each of LSU's assistants.
- Friday morning opens with quarterbacks specialist George Whitfield.
- The bulk of the day Friday is filled with breakout sessions from standout high school coaches from across the country, such as J.T. Curtis from Louisiana powerhouse John Curtis, John Bachman from Louisiana's Calvary Baptist and Aledo (Texas) head coach Tim Buchanan.
- Friday's mid-day featured speaker? None other than Ray Lewis.
- After lunch, Oakland Raiders special teams coordinator Bobby April breaks down the fundamentals of tackling and hitting for an hour.
- John Chavis gets a half-hour on Friday evening, followed by LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.
Everything closes up Friday with a crawfish boil led by grand poobah Les Miles, as it should.
Can anyone top this?