With another week of college football in the books, the stats we end up coming across get stranger and stranger. Enjoy it while you can because the end is approaching fast.
Send us a note if you feel like you saw something worthy of making the list via Twitter @FootballScoop.
- From 2000-2012, Michigan had one game with negative rushing yards (-3 against Oregon in 2003). The Wolverines have now had two straight games with negative rushing yards (-48 against Michigan State, and -21 against Nebraska). (H/T ESPN Stats and Info)
- The New Orleans Saints set an NFL record last night with 40 first downs.
- Since September 30, 2012, the Jacksonville Jaguars are 2-1 versus the Tennessee Titans and 0-19 against the rest of the NFL. (HT ESPN Stats and Info)
- With their win over Mississippi State, Texas A&M became the 18th program with 700 college football victories.
- Bluffton College (D-III - OH) got their first win over a top ten opponent in program history with a 24-17 win over ninth-ranked Franklin College (D-III - IN). It was Franklin's first conference loss in four years.
- Auburn's 320 yard rushing average is on track to become the most in the SEC since the 1970's. (HT @jonsol)
- Chip Kelly's current quarterback (Nick Foles), and old quarterback (Marcus Mariota) have combined to throw 38 touchdowns and zero interceptions this season. (H/T @MoveTheSticks)
- Texas Tech ranks first nationally with 567 pass attempts, which is 35 more passing attempts more than the next clostest team (Cal).
- Six teams (East Carolina, Cincinnati, Texas A&M, Boise State, Louisville and Ohio State) have all completed more than 70 percent of their passes. Last season just three teams (San Jose State, Texas Tech, and West Virginia) finished above the 70 percent completion mark.
- Two running backs, Georgia Tech's Robert Godhigh and Auburn's Corey Grant, are both averaging over 10 yards per carry at this point in the season. Since 2007, only three players have finished averaging double digit yardage on carries (2012 - Melvin Gordon, 2011- Orwin Smith, 2010 - Damaris Johnson).
- Only one player from a BCS conference ranks among the top ten individuals in tackles (Iowa State's Jeremiah George).
- Oklahoma State started 8-1 four times in 102 years before naming Mike Gundy head coach. The Cowboys have now started 8-1 four times in the last six seasons. (HT @DavidUbben)
- Kansas is punting the ball away nearly 8 times a game (first nationally), while LSU is punting just under three times per game, followed by Western Kentucky, Ohio State, Louisville, and Baylor who are all punting less than three times per game as well.
- The combined record of the 15 fastest playing teams in the country is 85-50 (63%). The combined record of the 15 slowest playing teams is 90-46 (66%). (H/T CoachesByTheNumbers)
- Lastly, here's a real game situation head scratcher for you: