With week 4 of college football in the books, we took a look at some interesting stats and storylines worth noting so far this season.
- Louisiana-Monroe (1-2) and Wake Forest (3-1) are the only teams in the country without a made field goal.
- Through four games, Marshall has more plays (88) of 10+ yards than any other program in the country (Oregon is 2nd with 87). Georgia, UCLA and Nebraska have more plays of 20+ yards than anyone else. If anyone had that as a parlay before the season...
- Tulane has rushed for 29 yards through 3 games (an average of just under 10 yards per game) and just .39 yards per carry. Washington State has the second worst average rushing yards per game at 59.
- If you didn't see our note earlier, Notre Dame intercepted 5 straight Michigan pass attempts. Also during the Notre Dame - Michigan match up there were 21 total passes attempted, 6 resulted in interceptions and there were only 8 completions.
- Willie Taggart and Western Kentucky have won 10 of their last 12 games. Their only two losses during that span have been to LSU and Alabama.
- Oklahoma State is the only team in the nation averaging more than 600 yards per game. They're actually much closer to the 700 yard mark (687 yards per game).
- Four teams are in the negative for punt return yardage; Florida Atlantic (-3), UTSA (-7), Massachusetts (-8) and Louisiana Tech (-20). Of those teams, only Louisiana Tech has a winning record at 3-0.
- UTSA (who is 4-0) leads the nation in turnover margin at 3.5 per game. On the flip side, Arkansas is dead last giving the ball up 2.5 times per contest.
- Mississippi State has 9 interceptions, which ranks #1 nationally. Fresno State is close behind them with 8 interceptions, 4 of which have been returned for touchdowns (the 4 interception returns for touchdowns lead the country).
- Oklahoma State, Air Force, UTSA and Middle Tennessee are now the teams to have not allowed a single sack so far this season. How long can they keep it up?
- The best third down defense belongs to Oregon State who is allowing their opponents to convert on only 14% of their third down attempts (4 for 29).
- Houston punter Richard Leone is averaging 48.8 yards per punt (first nationally). 9 of his 19 punts have traveled over 50 yards.
- Only one player, Nevada running back Stefphon Jefferson, has accounted for double digit touchdowns for his team (12). Jefferson is also third in the country in all purpose yardage (196.5 per game).
- Rice linebacker Cameron Nwosu has blocked 3 punts / kick attempts this season already (#1 nationally). The leader in that category in 2011, Kansas State defensive lineman Raphael Guidry, had 5 on the entire year.
- Three of the top five teams in passes defended are from the Pac 12 (#1 Arizona, tied for #2 Oregon, tied for #4 UCLA). The other two are Big Ten schools (tied for #2 Ohio State, tied for #4 Wisconsin).
- The top ten teams in time of possession are a combined 22-12. Four of those teams are undefeated (UTSA, Oregon State, Florida, Louisville) and two have one loss (Texas State and Michigan State. Conversely, the teams that are ranked at the bottom in time of possession are 19-22, with only one undefeated team (Baylor), and three one loss teams (Ole Miss, Miami, Northern Illinois).
- Through three games, Texas Tech is ranked #1 in total defense, pass efficiency defense and pass defense and #2 in total offense. Tech's scheduled opened up with Northwestern State, Texas State, and New Mexico. They had a bye this past weekend and will take on Iowa State on Saturday.