Here's a quick look at some interesting stats through week 5 of college football.
Let us know what you've noticed as well.
- Air Force and UTSA remain the only teams in the country to not allow a sack. Air Force has played four games, UTSA has played three. The two teams rank toward the bottom nationally in pass attempts. Air Force has attempted 44 passes (123rd nationally) and UTSA has attempted 87 (115th nationally).
- Of the six teams yet to throw an interception, two are from the state of Louisiana. Toledo, Alabama, Louisiana-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, Ohio, and Air Force have all yet to throw a pick. Of those teams, Toledo has the most pass attempts (186), and Ohio has the most touchdowns (13).
- Arkansas has given up 101 plays of 10 yards or more through five games. That's 73 more than Alabama has given up in their five games.
- During Geno Smith's record setting Saturday where he had more touchdown passes than incompletions, (6 incompletions to 8 touchdowns) he also surpassed former Mountaineer quarterback Mike Timko's total passing yardage for the entire 1985 season (567 yards).
- Fresno State defensive back Phillip Thomas is averaging an interception a game through the first five games of the year. Thomas has also taken 2 of those interceptions back for touchdowns.
- FCS teams have beaten FBS teams ten times already this year, tying the record for most wins in a single season. That record has a good chance of falling with 11 more FCS vs. FBS match ups before the season ends.
- The Pac 12 and SEC are among the best teams in the country in third down conversion percentage, with three teams from each conference making the list. Pac 12 members making the top ten are Oregon State (#2 - 20.5%), Stanford (#4 - 24.2%), Oregon (#5 - 24.7%) and SEC teams include Texas A&M (#7 - 26.5%), LSU (#8 - 27%), and South Carolina (#10 - 27.4%). TCU is the top ranked third down defense allowing teams to convert on only 19.3% of their tries.
- Marshall continues to lead the country in plays over 10 yards with 111. Arizona moved into the #2 spot tied with Oregon at 102 plays over 10 yards.
- Fresno State is the only team in the country with 2 scrimmage plays over 90 yards.
- The top three teams in scoring offense are from the Big 12. Oklahoma State leads the nation with nearly 56 points per game, Baylor is a close second at 54.3 and West Virginia is sitting at 53 points per game.
- According to USA Today, back in 2007 teams scored at least 60 points 24 different times. Through five weeks this season, 23 teams have already hit the 60 point mark.
- Northwestern kicker Jeff Budzien is the only kicker in the country to attempt over 10 field goals so far this season and convert on 100% of his attempts (11/11).
- Kansas State (4-0) and Central Michigan (2-2) are the least penalized teams in the country. Each team is committing less than 3 penalties per game for less than 20 yards.
- Louisiana Tech (10.5) and Rutgers (10.3) are the only two teams in the country that are averaging double digit penalties. Both teams are also 4-0. Louisiana Tech also has the most penalty yardage per game (98 yards per contest).
- Buffalo, Wake Forest, Alabama, and Oklahoma State are all coming out of the red zone with points on 100% of their trips. Oklahoma leads the nation with 25 attempts (20 touchdowns), while Buffalo has taken 9 trips (8 of them being touchdowns).
- The top 5 teams in time of possession are a combined 19-2 (Oregon State, UTSA, Florida, Louisville, Louisiana-Monroe). The bottom five (Houston, Kentucky, Baylor, Northern Illinois, Buffalo) are a combined 10-12. Which is very different than least season when Oregon and Houston (who finished a combined 25-3) ranked 120th and 114th in time of possession.
- Both Mississippi State (6) and Temple (5) have forced at least 5 fumbles and have recovered every single one of them.
- North Texas, Rutgers and Western Michigan have yet to allow an offense to convert a fourth down attempt. Each defense has stayed on the field and stuffed four separate attempts.