How is it possible that the season feels further away now than it did in February?
The Starting Five: Our five best stories of the week.
- In 2011, Sul Ross State ranked 132nd in Division III in total offense. A year later they had the best offense in the entire NCAA. What changed? Their quarterback graduated, then he became their offensive coordinator. Meet 23-year-old Scotty Walden, the next Kliff Kingsbury.
- Last weekend, Prince Harry visited the Air Force football facility and was greeted by exactly zero Falcons players. Why? The NCAA, the same group claiming to be a champion of the student-athlete, wouldn't let them. Add another track to the NCAA's greatest hits album.
- The most underpaid coach in college football probably isn't who you think it is.
- If you're a head coach, you should be on Twitter. This is why.
- There isn't a head coach in the country who would do more to raise money for his program than Ron English, although we'd like to see Bill Snyder try this.
The Film Room: Each week we come across a ton of great videos from across all levels of football. Here's a taste of the best videos we posted this week.
- Take an all-access look at Vanderbilt's spring game.
- Mic'd up: Texas defensive backs coach Duane Akina, Wisconsin running backs coach Thomas Hammock and Indiana strength coach Mark Hill.
- It's that time of year: how the Oregon State strength staff sets up its summer schedule.
- Oregon put all its extra Nike gear on sale. Here's how it happened.
- If you've got half an hour to kill, Notre Dame's 2012 season highlights are outstanding.
The best of the rest: Here's everything you need to know outside of coaching news that happened in the world of college football this week.
- Rutgers and Maryland fans rejoice, the Big Ten has released its 2014 schedule.
- After 13 years as the Warriors, Hawaii's football team is going back to its original nickname - the Rainbow Warriors.
- This high school program wants your help choosing its next helmet design.
- Memphis is also putting its new (Cincinnati Bengals-inspired) uniforms up to a vote.
- Boise State is slightly tweaking the smurf turf.