Nevada special teams coordinator Thomas Sheffield joined us Tuesday afternoon to talk some special teams.
Sheffield, who has previous coaching stops at Arkansas-Pine Bluff (FCS), North Texas, Mary Hardin-Baylor (D-III - TX) and Sam Houston State (FCS - TX) shares thoughts on how to create a unique culture within your special teams meetings as well as some advice on progressing in the coaching profession.
Here are a few great nuggets I picked up from Sheffield's talk.
- Why you should consider assigning coaches to assist specific special teams positions
- How harnessing a Who Wants to be a Millionaire approach in team meetings can be a huge advantage
- Why you should consider doing a couple full speed reps alongside your guys in-practice
- How asking his players for feedback has contributed to his growth as a coach and coordinator
- Some of the most humbling moments during his time as a special teams coordinator
- Why sacrificing your ego is paramount if you want to climb the coaching ladder
Head here to see all of the FootballScoop Online Clinic content to date, and fill out this form to be considered for a future clinic presentation.
Check out coach Sheff's full presentation below.