For the first time in college football history, all 10 FBS conferences will stage championship games. The revolution that began with the 1992 SEC Championship is complete now that the Sun Belt split itself into two 5-team divisions and the Big 12 revived its title game sans divisions.
Six of the 10 title games are rematches:
- Washington beat Utah 21-7 on Sept. 15 in Salt Lake City
- Texas beat Oklahoma 48-45 on Oct. 6 in Dallas
- Appalachian State beat Louisiana-Lafayette 27-17 on Oct. 20 in Boone
- Middle Tennessee beat UAB 27-3 last Saturday in Murfreesboro
- UCF beat Memphis 31-30 on Oct. 13 in Memphis
- Boise beat Fresno 24-17 on Nov. 9 in Boise
Of course, the weekend hinges on a game that is a rematch of a contest played previously in 2018 -- but not the 2018 season. Alabama stage Georgia in the rematch, where if Alabama wins, the door opens for Oklahoma (and perhaps Ohio State) to make an 11th hour rush to their third College Football Playoff berth.
But if Georgia wins.... look out.