The America Athletic Conference tweeted out an interesting by-the-numbers look at our great game this morning, courtesy of the National Football Foundation. We felt was worth sharing with you, so that you can in-turn share it with your players.
Among the more interesting numbers are:
- 15,585 high schools in the US play football as of 2013-2014.
- 1.1 million high school football players nationally.
- 6.2% of high school football players will go on to play at the college level.
- 772 colleges and universities play college football (from FBS to NAIA and JuCo)
- About 70,000 college football players at all levels
- 38 college programs have added a football program since 2010
- Just .5% of college football players made opening week NFL rosters in 2014, meaning that 99.5% of college football players go on to other careers.
- 75% of FBS student-athletes graduate (an all-time NCAA high), compared to a 59% graduation rate for the general student body.
- Average NFL playing career lasts 3.3 years.
Take a look at the full fact sheet below.