Sonny Dykes has made a number of hires for his initial staff at SMU, sources told FootballScoop on Thursday.
A former Louisiana Tech and Cal head coach, Dykes spent the 2017 season as a consultant at TCU and was hired at SMU on Dec. 11 to replace Chad Morris, who departed for Arkansas.
The staff as we currently understand it is:
- Rhett Lashlee, offensive coordinator / quarterbacks. Lashlee previously worked in similar posts at Auburn and Connecticut.
- Jamal Powell, offensive line coach. Powell was the run game coordinator and offensive line coach at Lamar.
- David Gru, receivers coach. Has been with Sonny at La Tech, Cal and TCU.
- Chris Brasfield, running backs coach. A Texas native, was on Mike Riley's staffs at Oregon State (RBs) and Nebraska. Previously coached at Samford, Midwestern State, TCU and also as a high school coach in the DFW area.
- Trey Haverty, safeties. Former TCU & Texas Tech assistant. Spent this past season as a quality control at Texas.
- Anthony Crespino, asst AD for football operations. Crespino comes from Northwestern where he served as assistant director of operations. Has served as DFO, DPP or DPD at Texas State, Penn State and Western Michigan as well.
- Chris Rodriguez, director of video services.
Sources tell FootballScoop the defensive coordinator hire is expected to be in place soon. The remaining pieces are expected to come together thereafter.
As always, stay tuned to The Scoop for the latest.