Jim Harbaugh already has a top off-the-field lieutenant in assistant AD for football Jim Minick, but now the new Wolverines head coach is looking for another assistant to help execute his vision of Michigan football. As uncovered by the Detroit Free Press, on Tuesday Michigan posted a listing for a new job in the football program: director of internal communications and operations for the head football coach.
Essentially, he's looking for a chief of staff.
Here's the job summary: The Director of Internal Communications and Operations for the Head Football Coach assists the football coach in all areas, including day-to-day operations, communications, office management and administration. He/she works directly with the U-M administrators, coaches and student-athletes to promote and maintain a positive brand image for the Michigan football program. This individual is also responsible for working with all related departments to ensure that the football program is providing a collaborative message that integrates with the athletic departments initiatives.
Here are the job responsibilities:
OPERATIONS DUTIES (80%)
1. Assists head coach in all areas, including day-to-day operations, administration and office management.
2. Maintain head coachs personal and professional contacts
3. Produce content needed by head coach for team meetings
4. Assist head coach with personal appearances and off-season engagements
5. Complete special projects as assigned by head coach, including family engagements
COMMUNICATIONS DUTIES (20%)
1. Coordinate internal communications for the head coach within the athletic department and U-M community.
2. Assist head coach with personal social media account and messaging
3. Monitor coaches and student-athletes social media activities; report issues to communications and digital team and head coach
4. Assist with internal content for Michigan Football social media accounts
5. Update team depth chart on Sundays
6. Manage team rosters for use by members of the football program
7. Work with coach on submission of the coaches? poll (if asked to participate)
8. Coordinate football photography needs with Creative Department; schedule team and individual student-athlete, coaches and administrative photos and make sure they are archived
Think you have what it takes? Check out the job listing here.