Report: Gus Malzahn not safe at Auburn after all (Featured)

With likely losses against Georgia and Alabama looming, Auburn AD Allen Greene attempted to quell the speculation about Gus Malzahn's future before it could take on a life of its own by stating definitively that Malzahn will be back in 2019.

“He’ll be the coach next year and I’m confident — he’s already proven we can get through adversity,” Greene said earlier this month. “Every team has it and I’m looking forward to working with him for a long time.”

Those losses have now come and gone -- the Tigers fell to Georgia 27-10 on Nov. 10 and 52-21 to Alabama on Saturday. Auburn completed a regular season that began in the AP top 10 with a 7-5 mark.

With the regular season over, Josh Moon of the Montgomery (Ala.) Alabama Reporter reported Monday that a faction of AU power-brokers have gathered support to oust Malzahn, to the point where a search for his replacement is already underway.

Malzahn signed a 7-year, $49 million contract after leading Auburn to wins over Georgia and Alabama en route to an SEC West championship in 2017. The cost to buy the sixth-year Auburn coach out of his contract at this point is a reported $32 million with $16 million of that due nearly immediately should they make this decision. For what it is worth, FootballScoop was told that people representing Auburn met with Bob Stoops a few weeks back.... As always, stay tuned to The Scoop for the latest.

Update> Bob Stoops says he didn't speak with Auburn.

Loading...
Loading...